Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Unique child... lonely? - Psalms 25:16


Ps. 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. 


If you've ever had a rough day this is a good Psalm to pray but maybe more than just a devotional thought. It almost seems as though David prayed this and Jesus could have prayed this too.

In the previous article I mentioned that this word lonely is "unique child" everywhere else in the Bible outside of the book of Psalms. A little exercise here, could we put in 'unique child' here and it make sense for Jesus as well? 

Ps. 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am a unique son and afflicted.


It seems that though David penned Psalms 22-24, they are dealing with Christ's death, resurrection and reign in some sense so is chapter 25 dealing with Jesus as well? 

Let's keep reading...

17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distress. 18 Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins. 19 Consider how many are my foes, and with what violent hatred they hate me. 20 Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me! Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. 21 May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you. 

Forgive all my sins? Surely that couldn't be Jesus. But then you notice on what basis he is asking for forgiveness... consider my affliction and my trouble. Who else can say I have suffered enough for forgiveness of sins but Jesus alone. Now maybe David wrote this not thinking that he had suffered enough for forgiveness but was merely saying look I'm in anquish here the least I could ask for is forgiveness or repreave from the weight of sin... maybe but it reads as though this is a life or death situation.

Troubles enlarged... check.
Waiting for God to rescue, deliver him.... check.
Lots of foes that hate him... check. 
Taking refuge in God... check

May integrity and uprightness preserve me.... 

...slow down David. Does he really think that his integrity and uprightness will be enough to preserve him? Does David really know what he is asking? Can I say let my integrity and uprightness preserve me? But he takes refuge in God and he doesn't say 'my' integrity though it almost assumes it.

So could we translate 'lonely' as 'unique child'? David was a unique child and afflicted as well, God called him his son (2 Sam. 7:14) and it was his hand that wrote these words. He finds refuge in God and calls for his holiness to preserve him... However you translate that word it seems that in the background a picture of Jesus emerges. Interesting.