Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ps 26


Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man ...
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the sea of scoffers

 Psalm 26 then seems to be saying that he is that blessed man spoken of in Psalm 1

I walk in your faithfulness.
I do not sit with men of falsehood,
nor do I consort with hypocrites.
I hate the assembly of evildoers,
and I will not sit with the wicked. (3-5)

David is once again writing this but the next few verses are a bit shocking then. 

I wash my hands in innocence
and go around your altar, O Lord, 
proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, 
and telling all your wondrous deeds. (6-7)

So whoever the blessed man is (David?) seems to have somehow been innocent and fulfilling the role of a priest going around the altar, the altar speaks of sacrifice, and worshiping God. We know that David wasn't really "innocent" and that he was from the line of Judah not Levi, a kingly line but then again he often intermixed the role of priest and king.

Book I -  David - King
Book II - starts with son of Korah - Priests
Book III - starts with Asaph - Priest
Book IV - begins with Moses - Leader of exodus from Egypt - Prophet (Duet. 18:15)
Book V - no one mentioned..... hmm

King, Priests, and Prophet all pray the Psalms. Interesting...

He goes on to say that he loves where the Lord dwells and requests that God not sweep his life away with the sinners. And then a final statement by the blessed man.

But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity;
redeem me and be gracious to me.
My foot stands on level ground;
in the great assembly I will bless the Lord (11-12). 

Why does he need to be redeemed or ask the Lord to be gracious to him if he is walking in integrity with his foot on level ground? Is the key back in Psalm 1-2?

Blessed is the man.... and ends with blessed are all who take refuge in him, blessed are they who take refuge in the blessed man of Psalm 1.  So two blessed people that will be hard to distinguish between the two because one blessed people will take refuge in the blessed man....so his blessing becomes our blessing if we are found in him not walking, standing or sitting with sinners.